IUPUI uses ALEKS® to assess students' knowledge in key areas of math. Instead of a typical one-time test, ALEKS® is a combination of modules and assessments that best determine your strengths and weaknesses. You can take the assessment up to five times to ensure you earn your best score. Many students see a strong improvement in their second and third assessments as they use the modules to review material that they know, but may have forgotten.
Taking the Math Placement Test (ALEKS)
Before you begin
- ALEKS® proctored exams are required
- Begin ALEKS® at least 48 hours prior to your academic advising appointment that is part of New Student Orientation
- Plan for 90 minutes of uninterrupted time to do each assessment
- Have a pencil and plenty of scratch paper
- You'll need your IUPUI username and passphrase to log in
- Please check with your advisor or mathematics department if you are unsure as to whether you need to complete the ALEKS placement test.
- After clicking the Begin ALEKS button below, on the next page, if you are not logged in, click the LOGIN button. After logging in, click the blue “GO TO CANVAS COURSE” button.
- Do not use your personal calculator, an online calculator is provided when needed
- Do not use books, notes, or other people to help you with the assessments
Once you complete the first assessment, you'll have access to custom learning modules to freshen up on areas where you struggled. Before taking additional assessments, you are required to spend a specific amount of time in the modules. Once you've met your requirement, plan a time to attempt the assessment again so that you can improve your score. IUPUI will use your highest ALEKS® assessment score to place you in a math course during your orientation.
In Person Sessions
In person proctoring dates are available in the Testing Center everyday Monday through Friday 9AM to 4PM.
In person proctoring appointments are scheduled through the IUPUI Testing Center’s RegisterBlast scheduler. After creating your IU computing accounts, click the In Person Testing button below to schedule your in person ALEKS placement exam.
Step 1: Obtain IU username
Step 2: Click the In Person Testing button below
Step 3: Login with your campus username and password
Step 4: Follow the instructions to complete your exam registration.