IUPUI uses ALEKS® to assess students' knowledge in key areas of math. Instead of a typical one-time test, ALEKS® is a combination of modules and assessments that best determine your strengths and weaknesses. You can take the assessment up to five times to ensure you earn your best score. Many students see a strong improvement in their second and third assessments as they use the modules to review material that they know, but may have forgotten.
Before you begin
- Begin ALEKS® at least 10 days prior to your orientation date
- Plan for 90 minutes of uninterrupted time to do each assessment
- Have a pencil and plenty of scratch paper
- You'll need your IUPUI username and passphrase to log in
- Do not use your personal calculator, an online calculator is provided when needed
- Do not use books, notes, or other people to help you with the assessments
Once you complete the first assessment, you'll have access to custom learning modules to freshen up on areas where you struggled. Before taking additional assessments, you are required to spend a specific amount of time in the modules. Once you've met your requirement, plan a time to attempt the assessment again so that you can improve your score. IUPUI will use your highest ALEKS® assessment score to place you in a math course during your orientation.