The Chemistry Placement Examination is an assessment to evaluate your readiness for college-level chemistry courses. Directing students to courses where they will be better able to succeed is a priority for the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology. Success in science curricula depends upon matching your level of content expertise to the expectations in the entry-level courses as you transition to study here. The assessment involves a review of prerequisites, prior chemistry courses, chemistry placement scores, and ALEKS mathematics placement scores. Your conversation with an academic advisor is essential to weigh these various components for the optimum placement.
About the examination
- You must score a 5 on the practice exam before beginning the placement exam.
- You will only have one attempt on the placement exam.
- You will have 45 minutes to answer 40 questions
- This is an open-book placement examination, but you may not receive assistance from any person during the time of the test to ensure accurate results
- This exam should be taken on a computer with reliable Internet access; mobile devices or pads/tablets are not suitable for testing
- The results from this placement exam are immediate
- Click the link below to access Canvas
- Log in with your IU username and passphrase as needed
- Enter the access code: cpe4222
- Click on the Go to the Course or access it later in your dashboard or course list.
- Read the Home Page and follow directions to complete the placement exam.